Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do-It-Yourself Laundry Detergent

Many times I have read about do-it-yourself  laundry detergent and often considered giving it a try.  One of the moms in our homeschool co-op makes her own and handed out copies of the recipe so I decided to do it!  I mixed up a batch sometime the first week of February and to date, have only used about 1/3 of the mixture.  (I average 5 loads of laundry a week. More if it's a change-the-sheets week.)  I am quite pleased with it and love that I haven't bought detergent in a few months and have several more months to go before needing to make more!
The recipe is as follows;
                                             1 large box Baking Soda
                                              1 large box Borax
                                              2 boxes Washing Soda
                                              3 bars of Fels Naphtha soap
                                              1 small container Oxy-Clean (versatile)

All of the items are found in the laundry detergent aisle at Wal-Mart.  The first three ingredients all come in the same size and style box.  The cost for all of the items was roughly $16. 
Grate all 3 bars of soap.  Mix all of the ingredients in a large tote or bucket.  (I suggest 5 gallons or so.)  After mixing well, store with the lid tightly secured.  To avoid lifting or opening that large bin for each load, I suggest pouring some of the mixed detergent into a smaller container to keep on the dryer or someplace handy. 
I use about 2 Tbsp per load.  A little less or a little more depending on the type of load.  I will be sure to post when I finish this first batch...just to see what sort of savings I'm looking at.  I feel quite certain it will be worth it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment