Monday, March 12, 2012

"Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick, chick..."

Until we moved to Kansas, I had never realized (by tasting, that is) the difference between store bought and farm fresh eggs. Once I DID taste the difference, I knew I wanted them fresh! We didn't have enough space to have chickens in our yard in Kansas, but we do since our last move! This past Friday, we went to Tractor Supply and bought 10 chicks and all the equipment needed to keep them alive and healthy for the next 6 weeks or so. (It reminded me of all the things you need for a newborn...all this for such a tiny, little thing?) 

We were advised by several people to purchase more than we ultimately wanted because it's very common to have a few or more die in the early weeks. (Did you know that chicks get easily stressed and actually die from heart attacks? I am learning so much!) Soooooo, we bought 10, thinking 5 or 6 would be a good number to raise and we still have all 10! It is still early, but we've made it through the crucial stage of transporting them to a new environment and all are doing well.
I am getting quite an education...I'll spare you the details, but one thing that's kept me busy the last few days involves one little chicky who is having some troubles in the poo-poo department and my part in helping involves gloves and mineral oil. Need I say more? :)

They have provided much entertainment for us already. I remind the girls, enjoy them now, they don't stay cute for long!  We will be sure to keep you posted about this new adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! So glad to have you all back! I have missed you! I hope Elizabeth does not see the chicks though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jennifer,HOW GOOD to hear from you ad know that you all re well and enjoying your minisry in Corn.What a great idea that of having a blog....certainly saves a lot of time in writing the same to several people!
    Good to hear that your 10 chicks have made it so far, and yesssss!!!by all means you want FRESH EGSS and specially if they are free....ommit the ruster though, unless you want to have enemies in your neighborhood....plus that isn't good for minisry!hahaha.
    We sold our house in 16 hours last Jan. and closed the firts days of Marh, Praise The LORD!.We moved with a friend from church and are helping her to organized,paint etc her house becuase she needs to sell it asasp. We are traveling to Hickory,NC the end of this month (it's spring break here) to look for our "new dwelling". As you can imagine we are praying an praying and praying and are very excited about it.
    PLEASE, keep in touch!!!!and by all means when you travel to NC to visit your in-laws make a stop to visit us!!!!
    Say hello to Tim and the girls.Many blessings.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete